Saturday, June 02, 2007

“That there’s some corner of a foreign field…”

Thank you Mr Adams for your – I am sure well intentioned – words of advice.

I would like to say, however, that I am prepared to go wherever I am sent, to fight for Queen and country – even in those inhospitable lands to the East. (If our young prince was ready to go to Iraq – though, in the end, he didn’t – I am sure I am.)

Anyway, Georgina says that the desert air would be good for my sinuses.

When I was a lad, Lawrence of Arabia was my hero. I can see him now (as portrayed by that fine actor, Peter O’Toole) racing across those sand dunes on the back of a camel. I would be honoured to follow in the hoof-prints of that great man. I shall not be found wanting.

I am reminded of those lines from the musical ‘White Horse Inn’

"Where the desert sand is
Nice and handy
I’ll be full of grit…"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Full of shit, more like!

Marines! They wouldn’t have you in the Catering Corps.

And that stuff you told Georgina about our row over Bertolt Brecht. A load of bollocks.
You are a Philistine. You thought Bertolt Brecht was Hungary’s goalkeeper, until I told you he was a playwright. And then you asked what he had written recently.

You walked out on me, Sydney – and me with child. Your child… probably.
You just cannot face up to responsibilities, can you! The thought of having to bring up a child terrifies you. Well it terrifies me too – but I am stuck with it. AND I am trying to complete my degree. And what are you doing – hiding in this weird coven.

Well I’ve had a belly-full (in more ways than one).

I am coming to see you. My brother Ted will drive me over. You remember Ted? That’s right Doorman at the ‘Jacaranda’.

Oh, and I expect you to have those items of clothing you nicked out of my wardrobe washed and ironed, and ready for me to take back.

No, I won’t say what day I’m coming - I want it to be a surprise.

Anonymous said...

Ooops! Sydney, perhaps the Foreign Legion would be a better bet - in the circumstances?