Wednesday, November 13, 2013

St Mark's Square

Did you know, Anna, that Birmingham has more canals than Venice? But they don't go boasting about it... Oh, come and look at our canals... have a ride in a gondola.

All the same, Venice is a magical place.

Do you remember asking me why I was taking this photo in black and white? And I said - Colour describes, but black and white reveals.

I once heared Patrick Lichfield say that. And I think he's right.

Also no one has written a book (or made a film) called A death in Birmingham. But there have been plenty of deaths in Birmingham.

But don't get me on the subject of death, again. You know how it disturbs me. What if death turned out to be the biggest disappointment of all? Like Peggy Lee says in the song, Is that all there is?. The ultimate 'let-down'?

I am missing you already, so I am writing. Sometimes I can't write, but at the moment I can.

Take care and see you at the weekend.

George

ps. Did you know there is a plan afoot to get rid of the apostrophe?

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

George
The only disappointment death could provide is waking up on the other side and finding yourself sharing a room with a fat transvestite. It can't be a disappointment just to die. You wouldn't know anything about it.
It's not just the apostrophe. They're getting rid of almost every word in the English language. Have you seen a text message recently? r u ok 4 2nite. What the hell way is that to treat the English language!?!