Monday, August 06, 2007

Putting things behind me

Extract for the Cotswold Cryer – Monday, 06 August 2007.


NON-CUSTODIAL SENTENCE FOR LOCAL WOMAN.

As a result of last-minute dramatic plea-bargaining, the police withdrew the original charge of ‘Harbouring illegal immigrants’ and replaced it with the less serious charge of ‘Keeping a disorderly house’.

Mrs Georgina Turner pleaded guilty to this lesser charge.

In passing sentence, the judge, Mr Justice Quilt said:

‘I have taken into consideration the mitigating circumstances detailed by counsel for the defence, Mr Harry Sheene, and I do not think that, in this instance, a custodial sentence would serve any useful purpose. In my view, this woman is more ‘sinned against than sinned’. The court will have been moved – as indeed I have – by the tragic circumstances of this woman’s life, outlined by defence council.
Rejected as a baby by her natural mother, she has been dogged by misfortune throughout her life. A succession of foster homes – two of which were destroyed by fire – were unable to offer her the care and support to which every child has a right. Various positions of employment failed to provide job satisfaction; job satisfaction which would have given her the much-needed self-esteem she so valiantly sought. Instead she became the victim of sexual harassment and, in one instance, racial discrimination, whilst working for a firm of Rastafarian clog-makers.
Is it any wonder that, in an attempt to achieve some stability in her life, she accepted, at the tender age of 18 years, a proposal of marriage from a much older man. Clearly she saw in him a sort of father figure; a substitute for the father she never knew.

Her naivety, her trust, proved to be sadly misplaced. The man turned out to be a drunk, a womaniser and a chronic depressive who was unable to give her the love and affection for which she yearned. He is currently being held in a secure psychiatric hospital.

This vulnerable woman then got in with a ‘bad lot’. It is not for me to comment on matters that may form the basis of subsequent prosecutions, let alone name the people involved. I will just say that, in my view, she was taken advantage of by, shall we say, individuals with their own (dubious) agendas.

The judge said he hoped Mrs Turner would be able to re-build her life and become a useful member of the community and, to give her a start, so to speak, he was awarding her 118 hours community service.

Mrs Turner told our reporter: “I cannot say how relieved I am to know I can now put things behind me, and get on with my life. Once again, British justice has been seen to be the best in the world. No wonder these foreigners (no names no pack drill) come over here from countries where if you get into the back of a police car that is the last anyone sees of you. Anyway this has taught me a lesson. In future I shall only buy the ‘Big Issue’ from a man (or woman) with an English accent.”

She was then driven away by her defence counsel, for a champagne reception at The Jolly Pervert.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suppose a charge of "double-arson" would have been out-of-time under British law.