Monday, August 21, 2006

Decisions at breakfast

I had the grapefruit segments. I usually have the cornflakes. But I thought, what with having all the grease of a Full English Breakfast, I should have something a bit fruity. Tangy even. So I had the grapefruit segments.

They only gave me two slices of toast. I wondered whether I should ask for more. There was butter and marmalade on the table, and I’d no toast left because I had eaten it with my bacon, sausage, egg and tomato.

Anyway, whilst I was pondering this question, the lady came into the dining room and enquired if I would like more toast. I said yes - but then she asked if I wanted ‘white’ or ‘brown’. I had to think about this, but in the end I plumped for ‘white’. Perhaps, on reflection, I should have asked for a slice of each, but I felt I might be seen to be too demanding.
In the event she brought TWO ‘white’ slices. So I suppose I could have requested one ‘white’ and one ‘brown’; of course it was too late by then.

There was another awkward moment when I reached my last half-slice of toast (it was brown, but that was not the problem). The problem was that I had run out of marmalade. Well, I had used the last out of one of those little plastic tubs they give you in hotel dining rooms. My dilemma was whether to eat this last piece WITHOUT marmalade (I still hade some butter) or to open another of the small tubs (there was one left in the wicker bowl). A third option, I suppose, would have been to leave the last slice uneaten. But I felt that since I had ASKED for more toast it would seem churlish to leave it

I felt one of those ‘stuck’ moments coming on. So I reached across the table and quickly took the remaining marmalade container. I tore off the foil top. Now I was committed. I buttered and marmaladed my final slice of toast. I ate it.

I left the dining room, conscious of the half-full tub of marmalade (it was orange) looking lonely and unwanted, in the middle of an empty plate.

But I was determined not to let it spoil my day.

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

You know, George, if there's one thing I'll always remember about you it was your decisiveness. Do you remember that night we all spent over at Podgy Stone's house during the summer hols, and in the morning Podgy Stone's mater made us hot buttered scones for breakfast? You said it was a strange commodity to eat for breakfast - hot, buttered scones - but I remember you wolfed yours down jolly fast. I also remember my attention wandering for an instant when Podgy Stone's older sister walked into the kitchen wearing only her knickers, not realising we were all there. By the time I'd turned back to the table, you'd swiftly decided to wolf two of my scones as well. Yes - you were always the decisive one, George.