Saturday, January 27, 2007

Pragmatism: does it really work?

I said to Myra ‘You know, thinking back to my time with Georgina, I realise now I was in an abusive relationship.’
She replied ‘All relationships are abusive – if they go on long enough.’

Myra and me – we’re more like brother and sister. Which is good, because I never had a sister. My brother used to dress up in women’s clothes – but that just isn't the same.
Anyway, Hector’s not even my brother! As I told you, he joined the family unit later – as a six-year-old boy. His origins were never explained to me.

I remember, when I was quite little, a teacher asked me if I had any siblings. I said no. I thought a sibling was some kind of pet: like a hamster or a guinea pig. I said to my mother: can I have a sibling for my birthday? I promise to feed it, clean it out, and stuff. She just told me to go out and play – by myself!

Last night I dreamt I was going to go to Vietnam for a holiday. I could do, you know; I have a bit of money stashed away that no one knows about. I’ve been saving it for a ‘rainy day’ but, let’s face it, it’s fairly pissing down at the moment. So perhaps I should, in the common parlance, just ‘go for it’.

In my dream there was an assortment of oriental types (mostly ladies), and I hadn’t even got as far as the airport! I got irritated because two of them were talking in Vietnamese, although I knew they could speak perfectly good English. I think it was to do with the pros and cons of the trip.

Anyway, my ‘sister’ and I had a most acceptable breakfast at a little café called The Green Door. Afterwards we had a stroll around the charity shops; I bought a pair of ‘tom-toms’ for £1 – I think I am going to take up drumming. Who knows, I might eventually have my own group! I wonder what I could call us?

Myra persuaded me to return to Briarwood. I thought well, until I book my passage for Vietnam, it is as good a place as any. Carole will be there of course, and I don’t fancy a ménage a trois. Still, any port in a storm, as my uncle Neville used to say. Unfortunately, he took the maxim literally - which led to a Court Marshal and his subsequent dishonourable-discharge from the Royal Navy. Still, it was a long time ago – 1943,
in fact.

Uncle Neville was my only ‘military’ relative; the others were miners – except my aunt Edna: she was a spot-welder.

Myra swung the sidecar expertly around a left-hand bend and there was Briarwood. Tears filled my eyes; the freezing wind had been whipping around the edge of the screen for the last four miles of open road.
‘I’ll lend you a pair of goggles next time.’ Said my driver.


When I climbed out of the ‘chair’ I saw Carole waving to us from the dining room bay window. She looked quite fetching in her white robe, her hair wrapped in a sort of turban made from a towel. How do women do that?
When she opened the door she smelled of bath essence and ‘essential oils’. And I thought that maybe a ménage a trois might not be so bad after all.

You have to take life as it comes. And if life gives you lemons… get a bottle of gin and make yourself a stiff drink. (Actually, that’s one of Myra’s aphorisms. Another one is ‘Better the devil you don’t know than a horse of a different colour’ – I don’t understand that one.)

We had a pleasant evening. But I felt rather sad. Myra played some songs from ‘The Singing Detective’ and they resurrected memories. One of them -‘It’s A Lovely Day Tomorrow’ - I always connect with Anita - the friend who hanged herself, so many years ago now. I loved Anita. I wasn’t in love with her, but I loved her.

Anyway, we had a few drinks, Myra, Carole and me, and then – I don’t know what time it would be – Myra suddenly announced – in a playful tone - ‘Well, I think it’s time for beddi-byes.’
‘Bloody Hell’ I thought. Because up to this time no mention had been made of sleeping arrangements. I was determined I wasn’t going to lie down with the fish again, but was in some trepidation as to the possible permutations of the bedchamber. So I said ‘I’ve left my pyjamas at the hostel’. At which they both burst out laughing. For some reason I found this quite unsettling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That does it! That is absolutely doing it. I am coming – even if I have to walk from this Exeter place or use good old Swedish thumb. (Actually, I need do neither as you will see when you read on).

Your Anna has had her incredulity stretched to its limit over the past few days.
Turns out this bugger of frozen food truck driver is wanting me only for his sexual proclivities. It is not that I am minding so much – we all have our needs – it is that he say he is not taking me to London because he have to go see friend Bernard Mathews who lives in some god-forsaken town called Norfolk – the MERCHANT. (this Cockney rhyming slang what I learn: merchant = merchant banker = wanker. Clever because it let you swear in polite society)

Anyway, I say to this ethnic person: you pissing me about and no mistake. You stinker. You make me look right BERK (other Cockney rhyming – see how well I learn your language!) My friend George in deep shit and I need to save him from face worse than death.
He say: sorry sweetie, but I aint takin’ you to no London. You’ll have to come with me to Norfolk.
I keep quiet, like I was agreeable to him. But in no way I intend go travel to some shit-hole in north of England. So while he sleep, after his exertions, I remove stealthily, banknotes from his grubby wallet. Not too much – just what I think enough for train fare (first class) to your great capital city. Then I dress quietly and pack my little bag and do a bunk from the hotel.

Before I leave I am thinking to insert 2 pounds of the Tate & Lyle sugar into fuel tank of his truck. That would leave him up the shit creek minus paddle, eh? But then I remember the vehicle is Volvo, and would break my heart to bugger-up such fine piece of Swedish machinery.

So, content I have to be to drop his wallet in lavatory – which I have just used and not flushed. That will teach him not to trifle with afflictions of young Swedish girl, on her own in strange land.

And now I sit in ‘first class’ station lounge where they have the internet access for free, and communicate with you, electronically. But soon to be face to face, eh?

Meanwhile, if you do give in to enormous sexual harassment of these two women you are under, Anna will understand – and forgive. Just remember the safety sex which prevents the catching of STD, and the possible passing on of same to innocent party.

Train due in 5 minutes. It is named ‘Virgin’ – I like that. Brings back happy memories.

Coming to save you

Anastasia