Tuesday, December 26, 2006

HAPPY CHRISTMAS

It’s not so bad in here. I don’t have my own lavatory but the sheets are clean. I share a cubicle with Lionel. He isn’t homosexual or anything – so I am all right. He sells the Big Issue on ‘Boots’ corner. Says it’s the best pitch in town. He can’t remember when he decided to become homeless; all he knows is that his was the sort of home that encourages homelessness. His wife used to beat him up every Christmas; the rest of the year he was just mentally abused and psychologically traumatised.
He volunteered this information. I didn’t ask. That’s what’s so good about being in here: you have your privacy. Nobody asks questions. You can keep yourself to yourself. Another thing: although there is an undediably ecclesiastical ambience, they don’t expect you to attend any of the services – or sing carols.

I couldn’t have stayed in that house, not after the events of 23rd December. I shall be all right. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: