Thursday, December 14, 2006

Tension at 'Briarwood'

When I entered my lodgings you could have cut the atmosphere with a chainsaw.
I didn’t have one, so I essayed a false jocularity. 'What’s up?’ I enquired breezily. Silence. Then Hector spoke. ‘Bonar’s been arrested.’
‘Again’ Added Myra.
‘Bonar?’ I was confused.
‘Our son’ retorted Hector – rather impatiently, I thought.
Your son’ Myra corrected him. Hector glared venomously at his small wife. I tried to get more information. ‘Arrested? What for? Drugs is it?’
‘Certainly not’ Hector turned on me. ‘Bonar wouldn’t touch drugs – he abhors that dirty business.’
‘People smuggling.’ Volunteered Myra. ‘Illegal immigrants, that sort of thing.’ She added, helpfully.
‘Oh dear.’ Was all I could think to say.
Carole interject at this point with ‘Anyone fancy a Chinese? My treat?’
‘That isn’t funny. Hector fumed.
‘Funny? What do you mean.’ Asked Carole, innocently. Myra helped her out.
‘He’s got involved with a gang of Triads in Liverpool.’
‘Oh dear.’ I said, again.
‘Will you stop saying “oh dear”, you dozy bugger.’ Hector shouted at me.
‘Now look here-' I began. But Myra jumped in and saved the situation.
‘Yes, I’m up for that, Carole, let’s have a Triad – I mean a Chinese.’
Hector snorted. (An unpleasant habit I have noted with my brother) and stamped out the room.


Later that same evening.

We had eaten our Chinese meal – a banquet, in fact. Myra drove down to the ‘Golden City’ on the bike, with Carole in the sidecar (since she was paying.)
The king prawns, barbequed ribs, spring rolls and sundry items that make up a Chinese banquet had raised Hector’s spirits. So when Carole suggested a trip down to the pub he accepted with alacrity. Myra declined, saying she had to do an oil-change on the bike. So I made the excuse that I was too tired to go out. (I wanted to take the opportunity of being alone with her so that I could quiz her about this new ‘religion.’)

Carole and Hector took a taxi to the Vole and Ferret, (Hector’s car being still ‘in dock’.) and Myra retired to the garage to carry out the oil-change.
I reclined in an armchair and stared at the aquarium – hoping to disturb the fish even more.
I must have fallen asleep because I was awoken by the smell of pipe tobacco. Myra had finished on the bike and was sitting opposite me, her pipe going nicely.
I am going to report our subsequent conversation verbatim – or as near verbatim as I can remember – because it had a profound effect upon me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, get on with it then, George! You always were such a ditherer - get on with it, man!