Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The gas man cometh

*************************

I was wondering: the Gospel writers - Mathew, Mark, Luke and John - did they not have second names? I guess not, because in those days they called people by what they did for a living. 

Like in Wales, although they have surnames, there are so many Jones's they have 'Jones the milk', 'Jones the post', Jones the arsonist...

So, back in Galilee, they may have had, Mathew the fisherman, Mather the goatherd, Mathew the gospel writer...

Another thing: why are there no women gospel writers? A friend of mine told me that rumours existed of a gospel written by Mary Magdalene. It would  be nice to have a woman's perspective on the events of that time. But of course this was the Middle East and educating women doesn't seem to be a top priority.

Whatever. Some people say there was no 'historical' Jesus. I'd like to think that there was.

Someone suggested - in relation to the Magna  Carter - that sometimes the myth is more important than the reality. I don't know.

--------------------------------

I'm waiting for the gas engineer. He's coming to fix the boiler - again. It's quite an old boiler. Although, come to think about it, it's had so many new parts it almost  qualifies as a new boiler.

When I was a lad we didn't have a gas boiler. We had a boiler behind the (coal) fire. I think we called it a copper.

We also had a 'geyser'. Not like the one in Yellowstone Park - now that really would have been fun. This one was fixed to the wall, and when you turned the water tap a ring of gas jets lit up, and you had instant hot water.

I never thought I had a deprived childhood but in some ways I did. Deprivation is so relative though, isn't it?

Anyway, I've just had a phone call from the gas man, saying he will be here in ten minutes.


Back later.

No comments: