Friday, March 13, 2015

Notes from the pub (you're never alone with a notebook and pen)


Enter a couple... in their thirties. I've seen them before. They usually sit at the tall table in the middle of the pub, where she dangles her patent-leather slippered feet. This time they go to the bar. He crooks his arm around her neck, draws her to him, kisses her. I wonder, idly, if this is an office romance.

Three young girls are playing pool and drinking from bottles with straws.

I am sitting, alone, in a corner of the room.

I was served with my pint by that nice blonde barmaid. 'I like your nails'. They are two-toned, orange and black.
 'Thankyou.'

'Kroenenburg?' she had asked.
Bitter please'
'We've run out.' She'd smiled apologetically.
'I'll have a pint of Foster's'

 A colleague of mine, Billy, used to have a saying 'No wonder barmaids drown their young'. He used the phrase whenever Derek, the office-boy, made a mistake.

I like it in here. It's warm and friendly. Like William Blake's 'alehouse'.


Two very tall women walk in. They could be models, although I don't think they are.

I'm down to the last inch of my pint, and the beer is just starting to hit my legs. Shall I have another one? I don't want to go home yet.

I watch the barmaid - Sharon? Sylvie? Stella? pulling a pint, and it occurs to me that barmaids have a life outside of the pub, and these lines come into my head:

This barmaid has a life

When she goes away from here –

What d’you think she’s pulling

When she isn’t pulling beer?




Later these lines turned into this:

On the Pull

This barmaid has a life
When she goes away from here –
What d’you think she’s pulling
When she isn’t pulling beer?

Perhaps she’s pulling wool
Over unsuspecting eyes –
Perhaps she’s pulling rabbits
Out of hats – as a surprise.

Perhaps she’s pulling up her socks,
Resolving to do better –
Perhaps she’s pulling out the rug
From under from under some go-getter.

Perhaps she’s pulling ropes
To make the church bells ring –
Perhaps she’s pulling tails
On cats – the naughty thing.

Perhaps she’s pulling faces
To make her boyfriend smile –
Perhaps she’s pulling up her skirts
To climb some rustic stile.

Perhaps she’s pulling on the oars
Of rowing boat or skiff 
Perhaps she’s pulling out her gear
To roll herself a spliff.

 Perhaps she’s pulling up the weeds
To make her garden pretty –
Perhaps she’s pulling crackers
And reading jokes, so witty.
 
Perhaps she’s pulling down her blind
Before she goes to bed –
Perhaps she’s pulling out the corks
And watching wine flow red.

Perhaps she’s pulling out all stops,
Some gentleman to please –
Perhaps she’s pulling muscles
And dislocating knees.

For there are oh so many things
A girl like her could pull –
So when she’s finished here tonight,
I bet her life’s not dull.





 

No comments: