Wednesday, March 04, 2015

"Time" is an endagered species.



So why do people want to kill it?

You see them, on a train, a bus, an aeroplane, headphones welded to their ears, texting or phoning, reading a book or a Kindle, playing games on their tablet - anything to avoid being where they are. Why do they always want to be somewhere else? What's wrong with "here".

And when you get "there" it becomes "here" and you're looking for somewhere else to go.

Okay, if you are in pain or deeply depressed, then "here" is a painful place to be. But if you're just bored, well, why not have a closer look at that boredom; you might find something that surprises you.

People talk about "escaping into a book". Well, that's ok; I'm a bit of a reader myself, but there's a time and place. When I'm on public transport I like to look around: the scenery gliding past outside the window, the people, faces, colours. I like to feel the motion of the train or the bus, hear the sounds, smell the smells. Of course if someone sneezes or coughs loudly behind me, I curse them under my breath and hope I don't catch anything. But hey - there are risks attached to reality. Perhaps that's why so many prefer virtual reality.

I've a feeling I've said some of this before -but it's worth saying again. Isn't it? Oh well, suit yourself.

I'm off to bed.


No comments: