Sunday, September 23, 2012

Thoughts on a cold morning

*********************************************************

Frost on the shed,
Ice on the car -
I think I'll spend today in a bar...

Can you imagine, Anna, - Ice in September! Admittedly he sun is now shining and the ice melting but - Ice in September?

That Dave should eschew the Guardian in favour of the tabloid press is not good news.

Is he reading the Sun? This newspaper is noted for its Page 3 girls, endowed, as they are, with enormous bosoms. Personally I cannot see the attraction of these busty beauties. Is size really important? 

I once went out with a girl who had no breasts, to speak of. So we didn't speak of them. And I can honestly say that her breasts never came between us.

In a more philosophical mood, Anna: I was thinking: Can we know something by feeling it? Sort of intuitively? I mean instead of logically deducing it? Women's intuition is sometimes seen as a bit of a joke. But are we foolish to ignore this other way of knowing? I think men also have this ability but perhaps it has been submerged in  them, more than in women, under logic and rationality.

I think logic and rationality - the tools of scientific method - are very valuable and we owe much of our civilisation to them. But scientific method could be expanded to take in this other way of knowing.

(Maybe before we had language we had to use other forms of communication, and these have since withered - a bit like the appendix now that we no longer eat grass - or something like that)

We would have to be careful though, because it could open the door to all sorts of superstitious nonsense. Nevertheless, ignoring it because of this danger is a bit cowardly - and not really scientific. Science should be prepared examine (without prejudice) this soft evidence (largely anecdotal) as rigorously as it would any hard evidence (the evidence of the 5 known senses).

The avenue has broken out in a rash of estate agents' "For Sale" boards. Funny, but when I was at school and they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up, I can't remember anybody saying they wanted to be an estate agent. Now there are millions of them. I wonder if it is a sort of 'second choice' profession. Like when you fail at being a used-car salesman or a debt-collector. Just a thought.

I have checked out cheap deals for Premier Inns, and the best I can get is £19 for one night in Budleigh-Salterton on the second Wednesday in November. I think this is too far away, both in distance and time. Any ideas?


Yours frustratedly

George

ps. I felt a bit iffy yesterday so I had an early night. I opted for the ibuprofen instead of the whisky. I think I made the right choice.

No comments: