Saturday, September 29, 2012

I'm not afraid of Virginia Woolf

************************************************************

In fact, I am immersed in her; and I would never have thought I could become so enthralled in a novel in which nothing really happens. Well, that's not quite true; but most of it happens in the minds of her characters

Some people find Virginia Woolf's writing depressing. But she wrote about how she saw life; and she saw so much more than most. Maybe her "depression" gave her greater insights, and her command of language the ability to express and share those insights with others.

I sometimes wonder if we are like rats in an experimenter's cage: running around pressing levers to get food pellets, but what we don't know is that the levers are not connected to anything; the food pellets are delivered randomly. We think we have control - but we haven't.
But surely it's not like that, Anna - is it?

I like the idea of the Cycle-track Hotel. Perhaps we could hire bicycles and go for a spin. What do you say?

I don't mean to turn the weekend into an 'activity holiday'. In fact I have always seen activity holidays as a contradiction in terms. But 30 minutes pedalling is wonderful for getting the endorphins going.

I am tired, and my bed awaits.

I shall dream of the Cycle-track Hotel.

George

No comments: