Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Yo Yo

**************************

This susceptibility to impressions had been his undoing, no doubt. Still at his age he had, like a boy or a girl even, these alternations of mood; good days, bad days, for no reason whatever, happiness from a pretty face, downright misery from the sight of a frump.

Virginia Woolf talking about one of her characters in Mrs Dalloway. 

I am on an upper this morning. Even though it's raining. Don't know how long it will last. (the upper, not the rain - in fact the sun is coming out already)

I went out earlier and saw people driving to work in their cars, waiting for buses to take them to the office. And I thought, wistfully of when I had a proper job (you can't call writing a proper job).  It was nice on a rainy morning to be going to a warm office, seeing all your colleagues, pushing a few papers around, making a couple of telephone calls and waiting for eleven o clock when the trolley came around with tea and coffee and biscuits.

There's something comforting about having a job to go to every morning. Routine. Stability. (although, as you know, I am not a great one for routine.)

Your wisdom is of the wisest kind, Anna, and I do take heed of it, although it is not always easy.

When I was at school, the teacher used to write words of wisdom in red ink on my work; usually: See Me. They didn't appreciate me at school; didn't realise what a creative genius they had on their hands.

The creative genius stands always outside the circle of experts.

Do you know who said that, Anna? It was Hitler.

Have you ever been walking down a busy street and everyone seems to be going in the opposite direction? And you wonder where they're all going? And you think perhaps you've made a mistake? That you're going the wrong way?

It happens to me. And I think, do they know something I don't?

What is the position regarding Dave and his suspension?

Oh, and by the way, I think Premier Inn has the edge on Travel Lodge. For our next assignation, I mean.

Yours, straining at the leash

George


No comments: