Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thinking

******************************

You know, Anna, I was thinking while I was sitting on the lavatory this morning:

 Suppose you are in an aeroplane, travelling at 300mph, and you get up to go to the lavatory. While you are walking up to the front of the plane are you actually travelling a little faster than 300mph (plane speed + walking speed)? 
Conversley, if the toillets are at the rear of the plane will you be travelling just that bit slower than the aircraft (plane speed minus walking speed)?

I went to see a Maxillofacial surgeon yesterday. I don't know if I told you or not, but I had this slight burning sensation on my tongue. I thought the dentist had done it with her drill but she said it could be 'Burning Mouth Syndrome' and sent me to see this guy

I was a bit worried, sitting there for the best part of an hour before I got in to see him. But he had quite a sense of humour. He asked a load of questions, examined my mouth and said: We surgeons are not very intelligent - if we see something we cut it out, and if we can't see anything we don't do anything.

What he was saying was that he could not see any lumps or bumps that might be suggestive of cancer. He thought that it might be that a blood vessel was touching on a nerve going from tongue to brain, and producing this slight sensation of burning. He said if I was really worried I could have a scan but he didn't think it was necessary.

I was relieved. I said: No, I'm happy to go along with your opinion, pal. (except I didn't call him pal).

Hospitals unnerve me. I mean I know they're essential and  all that, but when I walk down that long corridor with all the different clinics off it, I think what a horrible variety of illnesses lie in wait for people. 

You walk into a hospital and you come out with something you didn't have when you walked in.You now have a label. A 'condition'. You are now a patient.

You might think that's an eccentric way of looking at it... but remember, I am eccentric.

Thanks for you comments, Anna. You don't know how much your straightforward approach helps to balance my 'philosopher's temperament'. (Mind you, I wouldn't be without it!)

I am going to see if I can scan a photo of Mary to upload on here - next time.

Don't work too hard

George

No comments: