Saturday, March 10, 2012

Good times coming

*******************************************



“Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither in a wayward course, over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the very edge of despair.”

This is Bertrand Russell talking, Anna, but it could just as easily be me.

He continues…
         
          “I have sought love first, because it brings – ecstasy so great that I would often have sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of that joy. I have sought it next because it relieved loneliness – that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought if, finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring vision of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what – at last – I have found.”

So you see, Anna – it is possible. 

I am a bit down in the dumps at the moment - clinically fed-up, one might say. But never mind. I am looking forward to Easter when you will join me in a small hotel - and yes, it will be a single room. Let us throw caution to the winds... or as the song says '...let the devil take tomorrow...'

They talk about 'safe sex' but as our friend Ronnie said, 'Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with a 100% mortality.' So...since we lose in the end anyway, we can give ourselves the luxury of winning beforehand.
No, Ronnie didn't say that last bit... somebody else did. Read 'The Black Obelisk'.

Let me know the time of your arrival - I shall be awaiting you on the platform.

Your George


1 comment:

R J Adams said...

Go for it, George, old boy!