Saturday, June 16, 2012

ME AGAIN

****************************************************

Two nightmares last night, Anna - I wonder if it was that extra fish-finger?

Anyway, I awoke full of angst - and wind.

Do dreams just happen in our head? Random images, snatches of dialogue woven into bizarre, meaningless tales - (monkeys and typewriters?).

Or do they connect us with a larger reality? Jung's collective unconscious ?
In dreams there is no distinction made between the 'living' and the 'dead'. But if it is all just memories and stuff - data in our vast labyrinthine computer - why do we produce such malign, violent, scary stories when we are asleep?

Are they supposed to mean something? I think the answer to that (like to most things) is sometimes.

In fact, Anna, when you ask cannot I write another book... I have this idea for a self-help book, although in this case it will be a Help Yourself book. It is based on the premise that much of our unhappiness stems from our desire for certainty: that things should stay the same; that they should last forever. This mistaken concept is ingrained in our culture - our popular songs. For example: I'll be loving you, always. I would change that to: I'll be loving you - sometimes.

I like Felicity Kendal's attitude... "I want to disrupt routine... While others find the unknown threatening, for me it is a place of security; I find change essential."

Anyway, let's press on.


That was a lovely image you conjured up, Anna: the two of us wrapped tightly around each other, like twins in the womb.

Now, I don't want to appear pedantic but that was actually a simile and not a metaphor, because you used the word 'like'. I just thought I would tell you because I know you are always anxious to improve your English.

Hope your studying is going well.

Your George

Oh, and I think we should eschew the canal boat thing - I shall think of something else


1 comment:

R J Adams said...

Oh, George, the reason we dream scary things is merely our subconscious pandering to our own insecurities. We feel insecure, therefore our sub believes that's how we want to be, and helps us on the way. And, you know, without routine we all fall apart. It's necessary to our survival. Anyway, Felicity Kendall's arse isn't half as sexy now as it was in "The Good Life".