Sunday, June 03, 2012

A rainy day in suburbia

*********************************************

A rainy day for the Jubilee celebrations. I have just been watching the scene by the Thames on Mistress Bulstrode's television.

Hector is still here and I have my suspicions that when you and I enjoyed our innocent weekend together my brother shared a bed with his landlady. Of course I cannot prove it and it's no use asking either of them - they would deny it. But let us say I have found certain 'evidence' which although circumstantial is pointing in that direction.

You mention a friend, Greta, who commented about people dying to make room for others. You don't mean that awful person Gerda with whom you are still unfortunately sharing a flat? No, it can't be her, she is not the type to let metaphysical questions bother her.

Well, nothing would surprise me about your brother Sven. You say he is 'going straight' now but I would not trust him. I imagine he is hatching some nefarious scheme under this cloak of respectability.

Anyway, I will pause here because I am going out to visit the new Leisure Centre which has been built in our fair city (town, really). A splendid place by all accounts and, although I very rarely swim and have not played squash for a while, I like to aquaint myself of these community ventures.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I am back and the place is quite splendid. There are squash and badminton courts, two swimming pools, a gym and a sports hall. There is also a medical centre and a cafe. Outside there is a running track and playing fields.

I had a 'health check' on a machine for £1. According to this I should be 8ft tall for my weight!! That's an exageration but I do need to lose a few pounds. As you know, Anna, I have always kept myself in the peak of condition - it is only lately (during these stressful times) I have allowed myself to slip a bit. I am going to embark on a health kick. Well, I will start cycling again.

This machine recorded my height as 5' 4" !! Now this, as you know, is ludicrous - I would never have got into a Guards regiment had I been so short! I am almost 6' - nearly as tall as you!!

I was looking at some videos of Shirley Phelps-Roper on U Tube. Do you know her? Very attractive lady with some definite views on God. I disagreed with almost everything she said, but one has to admit that she is honest, straightforward and courageous in stating her (perhaps a little mad) views. And not lacking in charisma.

It is a dark and rainy evening her in suburbia  Oh that reminds me: Hector has been writing more of his daft poems. Here is his latest:

SUBURBIA

Suburbia, Suburbia -
It's mad - take my wordia;
Neither town nor country,
Nor back nor frontery,
To live there, to me sounds  absurdia.

Now apart from the silliness, it is, as I reminded him, somewhat insulting to his landlady who has lived in suburbia all her married (and divorced) life. Indeed, he is enjoying the benefits of a a quiet suburban life at this very moment.
He ignored me.

For our next venue how about if I hired a narrowboat for the weekend? You will have to come up with the readies because as you know I am fiscally challenged at this present time. But it would be an ideal romantic hideaway (no landlady giving you funny looks at breakfast!) You could do the cooking whilst I attended to the technical stuff. As you know, I am an experienced boatman, my handling of a sixty-footer was the talk of the canals. But I have to admit I was taught by the best.

Anyway, have a think about it.

Looking forward to our time afloat.

George

PS. Has Gerda mentioned anything about a promissory note?

No comments: