Sunday, October 08, 2006

WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO ANOTHER GO

Everything I know, or think I know, comes to me via my senses – filtered through the screens of my perception. But what if these screens are duff? Warped? Faulty? Then I may be getting a totally wrong picture of how things really are.
My ‘world’ may be a hall of distorting mirrors. And that is what I find so frightening – when it sometimes hits me late at night: that I might have got it all wrong.

I must say, I found Carole’s initial response to my invitation to accompany me to the capital: “London! Who do you think you are? Dick fucking Whittington?” less than encouraging. But I persevered.

- London is the most exciting city on earth
- Is it really. Well I don’t want to go there: it’s full of southerners
- That’s because it is in the south of England
- I’m not stupid
- Dr Johnson said “Any man who is tired of London is tired of life”
- And I’ll bet he was a bloody southerner

I decided upon a more conciliatory approach:

- My brother Hector lives at Hendon, quite near to the RAF museum. Him and old whatsername… his wife, own a 4 bedroom house. And there’s only the two of them now that the kids have left
- I thought you weren’t on speaking terms with your brother? Not since that business with Anastasia?
- Oh, life’s too short to bear grudges. Come on: how about it?
- I don’t think so
- Look Carole, what is there for you to go back to? That sink estate? With the urine soaked stairwells and the broken lift?
- At least there’s a sense of community
- A sense of community! You mean they all thieve off one another, and support the local drug dealer
- You were glad enough to live there, when she kicked you out
- Yes, well… water under the bridge now. Let’s look to the future

Carole absentmindedly folded her napkin, then blew her nose

- You haven’t thought this through, have you? That’s your trouble: you never think things through. For one thing: what would we do for money?
- I’ve told you: we could stay with Hector – rent free – for the time being. And I’ve got contacts in Wapping: I could write articles for the Daily Telegraph
- YOU!
- Yes, me. You forget I was a successful novelist until not so very long ago. And I will be again. The hack work will tide us over until I sell my next book

Carole took out a bottle of red stuff and started to paint her nails. That was a good sign I thought. So I pressed on

- Yes, and we could be in the West End in 20 minutes – a bit longer maybe – and all the shows and the pubs and the eating places

Concentrating on the paint job she said

- Well, at least you would have a choice of bridges to jump off

I could see she was warming to the idea

- Oh and Hector’s wife… thingy… works at the museum; I’m sure she could get you a job there. If you wanted, that is
- I don’t know anything about aeroplanes
- Carole, you don’t have to, you silly… they will train you

Carole considered this

- Okay. I’ll give it a go. Just one thing: don’t you think you should try and remember your brother’s wife’s name before we get there?
- It’s on the tip of my tongue
- And one more thing: No sex
- Of course

And so, an hour and a half later, like two lovers, eloping, we boarded a train for Euston. I had to borrow a bit of cash from Carole for the fare (well, I like to travel first class) but I promised to pay it back as soon as we reached Hendon. My brother owes me money – and now’s the time to collect.

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

Oh, Lor'! I was beginning to warm to Carole - right up to the time she decided to go with you. No sex! Ha! London's gonna be fun! No good'll come of this, George. You mark my words.....

......and, you know full well your brother's wife wears the trousers in that house.......