Friday, September 14, 2007

My computer has been at the menders. I just got it back today.

I took it to old Arnold in the village. He’s a herbalist really but got into computers when he had that short spell in Charnley Jail. Did a course. Never looked back since. He still does a bit of herbalising on the quiet – even though he’s not supposed to. After, well… you know what.

We all thought six months was a bit hard. Well it wasn’t as if he’d harmed anyone – not really, anyway. Still that’s British Justice for you. What was it Oscar Wilde said… When one looks back at history, one is appalled, not by the crimes committed by the wicked, but by the punishments inflicted by the righteous. That might not be the exact quote – that’s why I have not put it in speech marks – but it’s near enough.

Arnold said it was the power supply that had gone. I don’t quite understand this as I thought the power supply was in my house, courtesy of South Midlands Utilities. Still he must know what he’s doing because it’s working now.

I was getting used to being without a computer. I mean Shakespeare did not need a word processor, although I sometimes wonder if Hamlet would have turned out different – a happy ending maybe – if the bard had had a laptop.

It’s one of those things we may never know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Power supply? I believe borage is good for that - or, if you can get any, cannabis sativa is even better. Well, that's what I've heard......not tried it myself, you understand....well, I wouldn't....would I?