Thursday, February 05, 2015

Why keep a dog if you can bark yourself? (old northern proverb)


The weather in this part of the world has been very cold.

 That's not a really attention grabbing headline.

How about: Ice causes huge cracks in pavement (sidewark for you Americans)

or

Mother of three frozen to handles of pram: Fire Brigade called to free her.

I live in the north west of England. I didn't choose to be born here. Have you ever considered the implications of an 'accident of birth'.?

I don't suppose Prince Charles chose to be born into the Royal Family.

Of course, this argument:  assumes that I (and Prince Charles) existed somewhere before we were born. We would have to, in order to make the choice.

I know there are some religions who believe this to be the case: that we are a 'soul' who has to come on earth many times, in order to learn. I'm not sure what it is we are susposed to learn, but the idea is that each time you 'reincarnate' you choose to be born to parents and in an environment which will enable you to learn more... I guess it's like expanding your CV.

So, according to this theory, I felt I needed to know what it was like to live in the north west of England as the son of working-class parents. Whereas Prince Charles felt the need to experience the life of an English Prince.

I'm not sure whether this means that Charles has already done a stint as a working-class northerner, and that I have already been a prince. (I don't remember ever being a prince but I don't suppose you would be allowed to under this system because you would need a completely fresh start).

I think this may be the Hindu idea. Although others believe in reincarnation, including Chad Varah, founder of 'The Samaritans' (I have his autobiography, the title of which is 'Before I die again.)

Enough for now, I have only 7% battery left.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely you have got this proverb wrong.

It should be: Why not get a dog, then you don't have to bark yourself.

R J Adams said...

Or, indeed: Kill the bloody dog and get some peace.