Friday, January 31, 2014

I'm not sure I know where I'm going, but I know where I've been.

*********************************

Indeed I do know this is not England: It is in fact Noordwijk, a seaside town in the Netherlands - or South Holland. How well I remember our stay there, and our visit to Amsterdam - where I was beckoned by a large lady with a whip, who suddenly appeared out of a doorway. Naturally, I hurried on. On reflection, perhaps it was rather churlish of me not to have stopped and spoken to her. Perhaps she had some indoor riding academy where lessons were provided for the beginner (such as I was then - I have, of course, since spent considerable time in the saddle, and am admired for my 'seat')

I may go back there one day. I think I have said this before, but the Netherlanders (I made this up - is it a real word?) are considerably advanced in their thinking, compared to the UK. Their attitudes to euthanasia, sex and drugs are much more civilised. Or should I say they are more open and straightforward in their attitude. 

As regards sex and drugs, this has always been the privileged province of our upper-classes. It's when the plebs start wanting a bit that our 'betters' bring in laws to keep us in our place.

Oh, I can't believe I've said that. Sounds too political for me. (Didn't Dave say I was politically naive?) Best get back to the funny stuff, eh? 

Anyway it's time for high tea.


No comments: