Saturday, January 15, 2005

Old friends

Good to hear from you again, Hector, old sport. Sorry about your spot of bother but it seems you can handle that sort of thing. Thank God for the Old School Tie, eh!
And R. J.. Do you know, your style of writing is somehow familiar - and your sense of humour. We once had a coal man who used to send us quirky notes when his bill remained unpaid. He had a very similar style; but his name wasn't Adams. I can't for the life of me remember it now. He gave up his business to join the Navy.

Anyway, old Maggie, down the 'Pervert'. You will not believe what she expected me to do for her. And me recovering from a hernia!
I said: Maggie I am not carrying those kegs of lager up the cellar steps.; not in my condition.
She didn't like it one bit. And when closing time came she said she had changed her mind about my staying the night. Well, I ask you! There's gratitude.

As luck would have it, Carol gave me a lift. Lovely girl. All those tattoes, and piercings. She was telling me she doesn't have any luck with boy friends; not when they know she's got six kids. I felt really sorry for her and asked her round to the House for a nightcap.

All those tattoes and piercings!

Doing one's best for the under-privileged.

George

2 comments:

R J Adams said...

Good Lord, George, I remember that coalman of yours. He rose to Petty Officer on the ole Navy tub, HMS Arkwright....you must remember...the one that shuttled back and forth between Scapa and the Islands...after that shindig with the Russian submarine....Fred Postlethwaite was his name....caused a real stir, did Fred. Well, you see, the captain had a very bad lisp and three days out from Scapa Flow old Fred...he was chief stoker, you know...he fell into the boiler. Of course, it caused a terrible black smoke to pour from the old tub's funnel and the captain immediately grabs for the loud hailer and roars for Petty Officer Postlethwaite...well, you can imagine...the whole ship was incapacitated...the second officer had to helped from the bridge...three of the gunners were court-marshalled. They never did find old Fred. Pity, he was a damn good coalman. He used to leave me quirky notes, too...

R J Adams said...

P.S. Come to think of it - he had a daughter called Carol.