Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Possible Solution

***********************************************


My dear, I’d like you to consider
Selling yourself to the highest bidder –
We’re short of cash, there is no doubt,
And frankly I see no way out
Except recourse to such a measure,
Besides, if you can offer pleasure
To some poor, desperate, lonely soul –
Well surely that’s a worthy goal!

They tell me E Bay is quite good,
As long as it is understood
The buyer will collect himself
Those goods that aren’t quite ‘off the shelf’,
Or pay a charge for post and packing
(Cardboard, string – perhaps some sacking).
We might deliver – for a fee –
(If a price we could agree).

One final rule we must observe:
To fix a reasonable reserve –
If that’s not reached, then we don’t sell -
Although I think we would do well
To make it fairly low, my dear,
Considering model – and the year!
A photo now?  Perhaps best not -
Of late you haven’t looked so hot.

I’m glad it’s all been sorted out –
Isn’t that what marriage is about:
Striving for a common goal?
And I think that, on the whole,
We work together as a team,
So having said that, let us dream
Of pastures new, a future bright –
But for now, just hold on tight.

There’s no harm in a bit of lust –
And parts you use will never rust.





1 comment:

R J Adams said...

George, you surpass yourself. Surely a small book of poems must be in the offing? If it's the delectable Anna's attributes you're flogging, I might have been interested, but I fear the latest Mrs Adams would object strongly. Also, UPS hate to deliver here as we're so far off the beaten track.