Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Linkedin

*********************************

I have been asked, several times now, to become 'Linkedin'.

I don't wish to appear churlish, or even ungrateful, but what does being 'Linkedin' mean? It seems to imply that, at the moment, I am out in the cold - and perhaps I am. I certainly wouldn't say no to  a few more friends!

But virtual friends?  I'm not so sure.

I think I would prefer friends I could touch (?) or at least get within a couple of feet of. (I don't mind my personal space being invaded!)

Of course, I know it is all about Networking! (Who coined that word), and I can understand how useful this might be for people who are bent on updating their CVs,  being put touch with job opportunities, furthering their careers and so on. I appreciate that you need to put yourself about a bit - this is the real world. (bit of irony there!)

I'm not a technophobe; I think modern technology is wonderful. Skype is marvelous for keeping in touch with someone the other side of the world, but for someone just the other side of town...? Why don't you get off your arse and go and see them? Arrange to meet them for a coffee (or a green tea). Do a bit of intermingling of personal spaces.


I feel we need a bit of tactility in our world. We've become too cerebral (too cognitive, as Ruby Wax puts it in her excellent book, Sane New World)

So I'm off - to put myself about bit! Going tactile, as you might say. Keeping linkedin with the masses. Mind you, there are some funny buggers out there, but I'll save those for my virtual world.


No comments: