Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Every cloud has a silver lining

***********************************************

Psychiatrists used to be called ‘mad doctors’. Did you know that, Anna?
It didn’t mean that folk thought them mad, but rather that they were doctors who treated ‘mad’ people. Evenually the 'mad doctors' came to call themselves 'psychiatrists'

I think you have to be a bit mad to be a psychiatrist. Or perhaps you just become that way, having to listen to the confused, the frightened, the disturbed, the demented, the psychotic – the patients who demand your time, your skills, your empathy, your patience, your understanding; on a daily basis; it must have an affect.

I think Freddie is a bit mad. He has a sign hanging in his office that says ‘Anyone who goes to see a psychiatrist needs his head examining’. I said to him, ‘Sam Goldwyn said that’.
‘Yes, I know.’ He replied. ‘Good innit!’

Freddie is not just a psychiatrist he is also a psychoanalyst – which means he is at the top of his profession. Psychiatrists treat their patients with pills, analysts treat them with words – Freddie does both.



Now then, Anna, this fire at the club may turn out to be for the best – for you, I mean. I did not like the idea of you being a barmaid – nothing wrong with barmaids (I’ve bent the ear of many a young lady pulling my pint), but really Anna it is a bit below the social level of someone like yourself. You deserve better.
And it occurs to me that your friend, Brian may be of help here. You say he is a bus driver? Well, why not ask him to put in a word for you at the bus depot? You have a full British driving licence (remember how you used to do the school run with young Syd, in the 4 x 4?), and they would train you to get your PSV. From what I hear, they are taking on more and more women drivers. And you know how you like wearing uniform - and how I like you in it too!! I would be happy to write you a reference.

Let me know what you think.

Your loving

George

No comments: