Friday, June 14, 2013

Trapped


I call this photo "Owl in Shed"
Of course it is not about owls - or sheds.
It is about the human condition: trapped in the shed of our own consciousness.

Do you ever feel trapped, Anna? Trapped within your own personality? I mean do you ever take a step back and look at yourself:  The way you think? Your beliefs? Superstitions? The way you people see you? And how this differs from who you really are?

Do you sometimes feel out of control? That this personality of yours is not really you, but something else... something you've put on - like a suit of clothes, almost?
I don't just mean you, Anna, I mean everybody.

Hand-me-downs. The hat that young lady is wearing... doesn't suit her... where'd she get it? Her mother... oh, I see.
And that dress... the wrong colour?... don't tell me... her mother!
And that young man with the shoes that are killing his feet, cos they're the wrong size... from his dad...right?


I am glad you spent the night with Dave. I think we all need (at some time or other) someone to - as the song says - help me make it through the night.

 I think it was Frank Sinatra who averred... Whatever it takes - the bible or a bottle of whisky - to help us make it through the night.

You say I should meet Dave? Somehow, I feel like I already know him. 

But as regards this space Dave now has in his head - you should advise him to put something else in there to fill it. Nature abhors a vacuum - especially in the head - and it could get filled with all manner of undesirable things unless Dave takes control.

Re the drawing of a young George: I drew this myself, and feel  it captures the awkwardness, sensitivity and, at the same time, the vitality of an emerging artist and poet.

Yes, there is sadness there too - but I don't see the ugliness.

Yours wistfully

George

No comments: