Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A 5th wheel

I opened the door.

'What are you looking so angrified about? Are you not pleased to see your little Swedish playmate?' And she pushed past me into the flat.
'Now just a minute, Anastasia...' I began, but she cut me short.
'And where is she? The little Carol person? I am longing to meet her, isn't it' And she was into the bedroom.

I decided to be firm with her. 'Now look here. What do you mean by turning up like this? How did you know where I was? And how did you get here?'

'I am getting a taxi. I call that disgusting little man, who is always trying to see up my skirt, and say, take me urgently and quickly to the Nelson Mandella Gardens Estate.'
'But how did you know where -' The rest of my sentence was drowned in one of her ear- splitting shrieks, which she calls a laugh.
'You are forgetting that Georgina and I, we are the sisters under the duvet, and she tells me about your little hidey-hole. Although she is not knowing I am here now'.

In the silence which followed, as I tried to collect my thoughts, I heard the pop-popping of Carol's Vespa, fourteen floors below.

No comments: