Friday, January 13, 2006

The other doctor

The other doctor was a woman - nothing wrong in that. She started to ask me questions about my childhood. I couldn’t remember much – I told her, I was only little at the time. That was the point, she said. It was maybe stuff that had happened to me then – trauma - that was affecting me now. Fair point, I said, but what can we do about it?
Well, she said, we have to go slowly and try to get you to remember; it is possible that you are blocking unpleasant memories. I said, well if they are unpleasant isn’t that a good idea. No, she said, because even though you block them from your consciousness they are still affecting you at an unconscious level. What we have to do is to bring them to the surface so that you can re experience the feelings and emotions – but this time in a safe environment. She went on to remark, I am sure you have heard the saying (you being in the trade), ‘If you have a monster lurking in the cellar invite him into the lounge for a cup of tea.’
I said, okay baby, I’m willing to give it a whirl if you are. (I didn’t actually say “baby”)
So it looks like this is the way my treatment is going to go from now on: weekly sessions with Amanda (that’s her name – she’s got long red hair). And I thought that perhaps I could share with you some of the material unearthed in these sessions. In fact that is a good word to use ‘unearthed’ because she said that we were embarking upon an archaeological dig, the two of us. A partnership. And she said, yes we may have to shovel some shit before we’re done.
I was surprised to hear her swear, but I thought I perhaps should enter into the spirit, so I said, too fuckin’ right girl.
She smiled at me over her glasses.
I like her.

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

"Archaelogical dig?"

Is she trying to say you're an old fossil, George?