Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Philosophy with Carol

A suitable case for treatment

What’s that you’re applyin’ to Brian?
Does it sting – is that why the lad’s cryin’?
If it’s for his own good,
Then maybe you should
- but I’ve got a strange feeling you’re lyin’

Is a lie an attempt to ‘firm up’ the truth, so to speak. I mean, the truth is so elusive; it slithers from our grasp as we try to hold on to it; it changes from one minute to the next: a chameleon.
Does the liar attempt to ‘tame’ the truth? Put it in its place? Domesticate it?

Fucked if I know, says Carol. That’s your trouble: you think too much. If you did more doing and less thinking you’d be a lot happier.

Is that right.

Yeah. It’s like that mate of yours said: A man of knowledge lives by action. Not by thinking about acting. Nor by thinking about what it will be like when he has finished acting.

Carlos Castaneda?

That’s the one. Him that was always stoned on pot.

Peyote. And he’s not really my mate. I’ve read his books.

That’s another thing you do too much of: reading. And when you do read you don’t take no notice of what they tell you. Like that other geezer you told me about: Gurdjiev, or whatever his name was – him that had a library with no books. Now he really knew what he was talking about.

Carol, I am surprised you remember so much of our conversations.

I have a good memory. You need to when you have to deal with as many liars as I do.

I expect so.

I saw that wife of yours down the Pervert.

Please, I don’t want to know.

Got herself a new girlfriend.

Carol, I am not interested.

Angela. You know, the one you used to give a seeing to.

Good God. Are all women turning into lesbians.

I’m not. Although don’t think I haven’t thought about it – the trouble I’ve had with men, over the years. How long they gonna keep you in here?

I really don’t know.

How do you go on for sex? Where’s your bedroom?

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

Well! And then what happened? Oh, I know....softly, softly catchee monkey! Huh!