Thursday, May 25, 2006

Disturbing news

‘You are not seriously thinking of marrying that elevated Scandinavian trollop!’
Amanda’s eyes seem to move closer together when she is angry. They are quite close now.
‘That is not a very nice way to speak of the lady to whom I hope to plight my troth’ I try to sound indignant, but I flinch under that withering stare.
Amanda snorts. ‘Anyway, you are not divorced.’
‘Ah’ and I flourish the legal documents I have been hiding behind my back. ‘But I am well on the way towards that happy state.’ For a moment she is nonplussed. Then…
‘You know she only wants to marry you so that she can stay in this country?’
‘Of course I know that – so what?’
She tries a new tack…‘You are still being detained here under the Mental Health Act.’
‘Not for much longer – I have made application for a hearing by tribunal – as is my right under that very same act’.

Her voice softens – a bit…‘George, you know we have only your best interests at heart.’
She gets up, moves round the desk and draws a chair up beside me. As she sits down I catch a glimpse of thigh (as she no doubt intended) when she crosses her legs. She leans towards me in a sincere, caring gesture – and I am enveloped in the mist of her perfume. Oh, I am sorely tempted. Get thee behind me Satan!
She lays a hand on my arm. Long tapering fingers. Scarlet tipped.
William Blake said “Those who restrain desire do so only because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.” I agree with you Bill, but for once I must be strong.

I stand up, with my resolve stiffened. ‘It’s no good, Amanda, I am going to marry Anastasia, and that is all I have to say on the matter.’
Amanda gets up, straightens her skirt and moves back behind the desk. She doesn’t sit down, but stands, her fingertips resting on the leather blotter. She regards me sombrely for a moment.
‘George, you have a Borderline Personality Disorder.’

No comments: