Friday, May 11, 2007

THE ARTS PAGE

Hi – I have been assigned the task of elevating the tone of this publication by the introduction of an ‘Arts Page’. This is something for which I am singularly fitted: although ‘blog’ policy demands that I do not reveal my name, I will just say that at my old school (a well known educational establishment for young ladies, which begins with ‘R’ and ends with ‘n’) I was president of the literary society and edited the school magazine.
I spurned the offer of a place at Oxford University, believing it to be an institution dedicated to the perpetuation of the class system in this country, ensuring that power remains in the hands of a bourgeois elite.
As a ‘gap year’ I worked in one of my father’s shoe factories, somewhere up north – I can’t remember the name of the place. Unfortunately, the cold and the damp did not suit my chest and so I moved back to London to pursue a career as a literary critic.

Anyway – to business. The idea is, that from time – depending upon the demands of my busy schedule – I will take a piece of writing, a poem in this case, and ‘de-construct it’. (I will explain what it means). Okay?



A poem by the post-modernist, Walter Thrugg, called simply

The City.

Winter skids across an autumn sky
In the thick air
Glue streets stick the fronts of
Black terraces to
Shattered pavements
While smoke-stack hatted men conjoin listlessly
On windy corners to moan
Incessantly
Over better days, over the moon, over bar the shouting
And vituperating dogs strain snarling at authority’s leash
In a gnashing of mistaken loyalty –
And nurses grease perambulator wheels
Surreptitiously, in the park
While waiting for their lovers -
When a penumbriacal moon stoops down
To comfort denizens of forgotten alleyways
Recognizable only by the whites of their eyes
Flashing like well-sucked gob-stoppers
In the stygian gloom.

And this is the city?
And I, a city dweller?

Be gone

-----------------------

In this poem Walter is railing against the desperate meaninglessness of life in a Northern industrial city.

The skidding autumn sky needs no explanation.

The ‘smoke-stack hatted men’ is a metaphor for the factory workers, miners, road sweepers and all the others who give freely of their labour – and illustrates the starkness, the grimness of working class existence.

The ‘vituperating dogs’ strain at the leash of capitalism, which is, at the moment, holding the workers in check out of ‘mistaken loyalty’ (this leash is strained to breaking point and will soon snap).

The ‘denizens of forgotten alleyways’ is a metaphor for working class women, who have to share communal wash-houses in stinking alleyways. Grinding poverty, back-breaking work over ‘dolley-tub’ and ‘mangle’ leave these women with neither energy or time to indulge in ‘lovers’ – unlike the nurses in the park, with their crisp-white uniforms and shiny faces.
(‘grease the perambulator wheels’ is of course a sexual allusion – let us be under no illusions about that – these lackies of the upper classes would not soil their manicured hands with machine oil)

Walter ends with a cry of anguish: Is this the city? Am I a city dweller? He has been brought face to face with the dreadful reality – and his complicity in it. He wants to be gone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this some kind of a joke?
This is not post-modernism and it certainly is not poetry.

Also I have looked up my directory of modern poets and can find no mention of a ‘Walter Thrugg’.

However the lady author of this piece does ring a few bells. In fact – if I am not mistaken – she has rung mine a couple of times. Although she chooses to remain anonymous, the reference to daddy’s shoe factories is a bit of a give- away, as is her obvious Marxist sympathies.

Madam, I challenge you: are you not the Honourable Norah Sponce: heiress to the Sponce shoe empire? And did we not ‘boogie’ until dawn, on Boat Race Night, 1995? Of course, you were very drunk: do you remember how you couldn’t stop giggling when I told you it was customary for the winning team to duck their cox?

If I am mistaken then please forgive me. But the poem is still crap.

Gervaise Montcrief
Emeritus Professor of Literature,
Winsford University

Anonymous said...

Madam, the only school you attended started with B and ended in L. As to your poem, I must agree with the learned emeritus Professor Montcrief, it contains nothing worthy of intellectual note and the author is none other than Walt the Thug, a notorious gangland killer presently serving 25 years in Pentonville for crimes against the state. Also, I have reason to believe said Walt was once your erstwhile lover and the father of your bastard child, one Jeremiah Thrugg, otherwise known - to the readers of this insalubrious tome - as GEORGE! Yes, the very same George you are holding incommunicado for purposes yet to be revealed. I challenge you to produce the said George forthwith and acknowledge him as your offspring, despite the carnal acts you have perpetrated more than once upon his simple and innocent person which are, no doubt, the reason for his present diffuse mental state. I challenge you to refute these claims with evidence, or produce the said George forthwith. (That told her, by gad!)

Anonymous said...

PHILISTINES

My work has been praised in circles you could never hope to penetrate. Try reading the reviews of my collected poems: 'The Skies rain concrete' (Hodder and Stoughton, 2002).

For example:

‘If only Sylvia Plath could have written like this…’ and ‘… his Kafkaesque imagery stuns the soul’… and ‘… Betjeman with backbone’

And the only reason I am not in that rag of a directory is conspiracy. Yes a conspiracy of pygmies, afraid of the harsh spotlight or reality I have turned on the so-called literati.

And, Montcrief, though I doubt that is your real name, I have been doing a bit of research myself: THERE IS NO UNIVERSITY OF WINSFORD. Winsford is a small town in Cheshire, somewhat inflated now by Liverpool overspill. For more information see www.knowhere.co.uk/4309.html

As regards your sordid past - who cares!

I will not waste my time with YOU Mr Adams – you clearly cannot distinguish between your syntax and your litotes.

Walter Thrugg
Whortson Hall
Dorset