Saturday, October 04, 2008

The American Economic Crisis

*******************************************************

A possible solution


$700bn sounds a lot, but it goes nowhere these days. I suggest George Bush appeals to the Third World for help. After all, look at the money America has poured into these countries over the years. Well, it’s pay-back time – that’s what I say. And food parcels are not enough.

Why not organise a mail-shot to the likes of Ethiopia, Rwanda and all those other foreign places that have benefited from American aid. OK, so America does not need a fresh-water supply – or a regime change (perhaps that’s not a good example), but what it does need is money.

A mail-shot then, on the lines of the stuff that drops regularly through my letterbox. Something like this:

Photograph of an emaciated banker –

(Obviously you would have to use some unemployed actor, but there must be plenty of those about).

“Just $50000 would renew this man’s golf-club subscription AND pay his Filipino au pair’s wages for the next 5 years… etc etc”… you get the idea.

Then you would have the usual tear-off strip on the bottom –

“My donation is $10000……. $5000…… or $………

Please return in the enclosed envelope. A stamp is not necessary but it would help us to keep costs down.”

I think this is a brilliant idea and I wonder why George has not thought of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you're alive. I am, too. :)