Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A pilchard is a grown-up sardine

***********************************************8



I woke up this morning feeling like shit. But now, I own a bank – two, actually. Alistair and Gordon bought them for me. And it isn’t even my birthday.
Fancy me, a merchant banker!

Nice to get a comment from Matilde Bonaparte. It’s a bit like that tree falling in a forest: if there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound? Well, how do I know if my writing makes a sound unless someone hears it, and tells me.

I haven’t heard from that fellow Adams, although I follow his blog (I still dial www.sparrowchat.blogspot.com) with interest. I guess he is too busy campaigning on behalf of John McCain. Personally I don’t think it matters who gets in – I doubt either of them could measure up to Mr Bush.

I accessed Matilde’s blog: www.thebipolarexpress.blogspot.com and read her post where she talks about the word ‘cunt’. A friend of mine once told me that the test of a really good dictionary is if it gives the origin of that wonderful Anglo-Saxon word as a sheath for a shepherd’s knife.
Well, I have not yet found one that gives this definition – and when I asked a shepherd he told me to fuck off.

I haven’t been well this past week but I am feeling a bit better now, although the weather doesn’t help: rainy, gloomy, miserable – enough to depress anyone – especially someone with a stinking cold.

Recently I sought help from the medical profession, in a couple of areas - one of which I will make the subject of a separate post. I have suffered for some time from the itchy legs; there is no rash, no dry skin, nothing visible that one might think would warrant the attention of a dermatologist. It just comes and goes, for no apparent reason.
I saw my doctor some time ago and he said he thought it could be ‘nerves’. But the doctor I saw last week, after having a good look, said that the itching was caused by very close veins. Well that's what it sounded like. When I realised he meant varicose veins I was astonished. 'What, you mean I have varicose veins?' I said.
'Oh yes' he replied.

Anyway he prescribed some capsules called PAROVEN, which apparently help stop blood leaking into the tissues from faulty one-way valves in the veins. They seem quite successful but I have stopped taking them for the moment; I want to find out exactly how they do this.
Enough for now. It is my lunchtime, and I must rise from where I lie supine in this chair, and open a tin of pilchards.
You’re never alone with a pilchard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, honestly George, no wonder you never hear from me if you dial www.sparrowchat.blogspot.com, I moved from there three years ago. Drop the blogspot, it's just sparrowchat.com these days. Nice little pad; three acres, trout fishing. It used to be a great hunting area, but there's not much left now. I believe the place belonged to someone called Palin before I bought it.
Honestly, I don't know why Matilde still bothers with you. Blogspot, indeed!
And if you've got varicose veins don't take those dangerous drugs the quack dishes out. Cider vinegar, that's the stuff. Rub it well in two or three times a day. Works wonders. My old father's ninety-three and he swears by it.
Keep eating the pilchards. Full of fish oil, yer know - and mercury.