Thursday, May 27, 2010

"We are that which others allow us to be": Discuss

***********************************************************

Yesterday, whilst leafing idly through this month’s issue of What Fetish (which I take for the crossword – page 4) I came across an article in which it was suggested there is a bit of the masochist in all of us. I agree. There is also a bit of the sadist. If these terms are too strong for those with a delicate constitution, then how about: ‘victim’ and ‘persecutor’? Of course there is also something of the ‘nurturer’, the ‘carer’ or the ‘rescuer’.


There are many and various 'strands' within us, and I think other people (different people) act as magnets (different magnets) to bring out these different strands. And perhaps the people we most like to be with are those who bring out the strands (we may call them 'traits')) that we favour, feel more comfortable with  – or think are more the ‘real me’- when, of course, they are no more real than the other bits.

Last night I got high on a cocktail of paracetamol, cough-mixture and whisky. I awoke on a downer. If this infection or whatever it is does not clear soon then I think I may as well turn it in.

I looked up, on the Internet, the efficacy of Prozac, as an overdosing agent. (I already knew the answer, but I looked anyway). It’s a bit hit or miss. Not recommended. You would probably vomit – bile and blood – and damage liver and kidneys to a serious degree, but it is unlikely you would kill yourself.

“Is this a dagger I see before me…?”

Only joking.

Wherefore art thou, Anna?

3 comments:

Purple Cow said...

I agree that people bring out different traits in us...and sometimes we marry them because they bring out the right traits only to find out that a few years down the line their ability to do this is gone. Scary, isn't it...

Wouldn't mind some Prozac myself right now...I guess vodka would also make a nice substitute. Can you kill yourself with vodka I wonder?

George said...

You are so right, Purple Cow. And it is scary.

I don't know why but I feel a bit concerned about you??

Anonymous said...

Yes, P-C, you can kill yourself with vodka: According to recent statistics, up to 12m. russians die from alcohol or smoking each year. (You can even drown in vodka so long as you jump in at the deep end.) You seem sad: Are you Ok?