Monday, May 31, 2010

"The creative genius stands always outside the circle of experts." - Adolf Hitler

***************************************************************

Hard work is not something I have ever been good at.

But immediately having made that statement, I realise it is less than the truth. (Here we go, the old ‘truth’ thing again.) I can be – and often am – very creative. And when I am creative, I suppose I work hard at it – although I don’t call this work. It is more like enjoyment.

But what I mean is: the capacity for applied, sustained effort has been cruelly denied me. It’s a gene thing, I suppose. And it is a pity, because if I had had this gift bestowed upon me – along with the creativity, of course – then by now I would have written several best-selling novels, have the cream of the acting profession fighting to be cast in my plays, and be a famous face on television talk-shows. Oh yes, and be very wealthy.

But alas, I was pitched onto this stage-set we call ‘Life’ with a ragbag of tricks and gimmicks, and a script with several pages missing, and told to get on with it. And that is what we all have to do. A Bugger - is it not.

Yes, I am in a reflective mood tonight, Anna. I have been reading some of these blog ‘profiles’ and wondering whether I should expose more of myself in public. This is something I have often felt the urge to do but, being of a shy, reclusive disposition find so difficult. What do you think?


I saw the doctor today. Not our little Indian lady – she is taking a holiday to visit her parents, in Bradford. Gretchen drove me to the local GP’s surgery, where I saw Dr Plankton. He placed his stethoscope upon various parts of my body, telling me to breathe in and out. I took care to turn my face away from him so as not to blow my germs up his nose. (Although he did not seem particularly worried - I imagine doctors are used to this sort of thing and probably become immune after a while.) Then he looked down my throat inviting me to say ‘Aaaaa’, and followed this by tapping my head and face in various places, and asking if it hurt. ‘Only when I laugh.’ I replied. No, I didn’t.

Finally he looked in each ear with a little lamp. His diagnosis was that I have an infection and definitely need a course of antibiotics.
‘So it’s no alcohol then.’ I said, dispiritedly.
‘In moderation,’ he replied, ‘No more than two units a day.’
Well, I never drink more than a pint of beer anyway, so I was quite pleased.

I thanked him, and Gretchen drove me to a pharmacy where I got the tablets. I have to take one, three times a day. I have taken two so far. I hope they do the trick because I don’t think I have ever felt so ill as I have these past two weeks. (Well not for such a length of time.) I expect it’s a bit early to see any improvement, although, strangely enough, I am feeling a little better tonight.


Next morning…

Oh dear, like the girl on the bridge at midnight – I spoke too fucking soon.

At 11pm I had diarrhoea – and again a couple of times in the night. I guessed it was a reaction to the antibiotics and so this morning it was a visit to the emergency surgery: this time it was an Indian gentlemen. (I was going to ask him if he knew our little Indian lady doctor, but I suppose India is a big place, and anyway I couldn't pronounce her name.) He was very thorough. After an examination which took in blood pressure, temperature and being stethescoped all over, he prescribe different antibiotics. I have started on these and am hoping they work because I feel drained of energy and totally out of it.

Our National Health Service comes in for so much criticism, but I could not have wished for more speedy, attentive care had I been a ‘private patient’. And, of course it did not cost me a penny. Incidentally, my prescription was made up there and then by the on-site pharmacy – which is open seven days a week up until 10.0pm.

(And thanks Gretchen for your sterling work at the wheel.)

Anyway, I am now taking things easy: a little rice and tuna here, a bowl of soup and a bit of pasta there… let’s see what tonight brings.

It brought the following morning - but not before my encyclopedia of dreams opened at several unrelated places. I mostly enjoy my dreams - you meet such a variety of people. Unfortunately I have not had an erotic dream for ages.

Now then, Anna, please do not take this as a threat, but if I do not hear from you soon I may do myself a mischief.

Your lonely George

4 comments:

Purple Cow said...

Get well soon.

Maybe its not the "work hard" gene that's needed but the "I want glory" gene.

Personally, I have never had high regard for people who seek glory, appear on talk shows and are horridly rich.

Let's not forget the real geniuses who die poor.

Get well soon.

George said...

Thanks Purple Cow.
I am going through a difficult time - in more ways than one - and your comment means a lot to me.

I hope you are looking after yourself in that land I know so little about - but which produced so many great philosophers.

Keep up the tradition.

Purple Cow said...

You have received an award on my blog.

Purple Cow said...

PS You have just received yet another award (that makes two)...hope you can keep up.