Monday, November 21, 2011

There's a time to rhyme

************************************************

I like to do a bit of poetry (or as Anna calls it 'poeming') now and again.
 Here is one I wrote a long time ago.


NORTHERN LIFE

We had fried fish today, for tea,
Fresh, from t’chip-shop d’yer see.

I said: I must not eat t'batter,
For t'batter's sure to make me fatter.
Our mother, she did not agree –
And threw t'teapot straight at me!

My dad, he looked up from his paper,
Shouting: Stop this bleedin’ caper,
I’m tryin’ t’do t’crossword, here –
Now go and get me some more beer.

He banged his jug down on t'table,
I ran as fast as I was able,
To the ‘Offy’ down our street,
But coming back I chanced to meet
My girlfriend, Mary Ellen Hickey,
Who said: Oi, Oi, let’s have a quickey.

We did, but when I got back 'ome,
The beer had lost its head of foam.
Luckily, mi dad was out –
Knocked cold by mother’s fearsome clout.
I said: What have you done to dad?
He’s really looking rather sad.

She finished off  t'beer herself,
Replaced t'jug upon t'shelf
And said: Nah lad, no time for strictures –
Get yer cap – we’re off t’pictures.



No comments: