Thursday, July 19, 2012

What is the world coming to?

*****************************************************

When I came downstairs this morning my landlady said to me: I'm thinking of downsizing.

I said: Well you could do with losing a few pounds, but I wouldn't say you were fat.

No, STUPID : she retorted,  I mean I'm looking for a smaller house.

Letting the insult pass, I said: But you couldn't get much smaller than this house... what are you looking for? A rabbit hutch?

Ignoring my attempt at humour, she went on: A small bungalow - that would suit my needs. One bedroom, she added, pointedly.

Alarmed now, I protested: But what about me? Your lodger!

Well, I'm afraid you would just have to find alternative accomodation. She waited a moment for this to sink in - noting with smug satisfaction the look of panic that crossed my face  - before continuing, Unless, of course we could come to a more - how shall I say - COSY domestic arrangement.

 I was aghast as the full import of her words struck me. That was truly a blow below the belt.

I was so shocked I immediately went back to bed, thereby forfeiting my breakfast.

Oh Anna. Is this what it has come to - the harsh realities of life driving each of us, against our will, into the arms of another?

A cruel twist of fate that could have come straight from the pen of Emily Bronte.

What are we to do?

Yours in trepidation

George



No comments: