Friday, February 17, 2006

I had no idea I was so hungry. Amanda drove to an Indian restaurant on the other side of Grimley Woods. She ordered the vindaloo - I played safe with the Korma.

Have you ever watched people in restaurants? There is something obscene about the way they shovel food into their mouth, don't you think? And another thing: why is it ok to watch folk stuffing food into one end but not ok to watch it come out of the other? I wonder if it is something to do with the sexual organs being in such close proximity? But then again, the mouth is an extremely sexual organ. It is no coincidence that prostitutes (most of them) refuse to kiss their clients - at least so I am told.

Talking of sexual organs, I always think that the human body has been 'built down to a price' so to speak. I mean, making the excretory systems double for the sexual functions. If that is not cost-cutting I don't know what is.

On the way back. Amanda drives like a lunatic (oh, I have just realised the irony in that remark). She says she often has an orgasm whilst driving. Georgina couldn't achieve an orgasm whilst have sex - or was that just with me?

I am getting a sense of deja vu - all over again. I seem to remember saying that about Georgina somewhere before. But as I said, the old memory is going a bit so you will have to excuse me.

Amanda is speaking:

- I suppose you've heard the rumours about me and Freddie?
- Well, I...
- Does incest shock you?
- Not as long as you keep it in the family...... Sorry.
- We were not brought up together. Freddie’s father was a visiting American emeritus professor; Annie (our mother) was a research assistant at the time. She was quite a bit younger but evidently it was ‘love at first sight’. We don’t know the full details but when Freddie was two years old they split and his father took Freddie back to the states.
- Oh, I didn’t realise…
- I was born a year later – the result of a one-night stand - as Annie loves to tell me. I don’t think she even knew his name. Annie never told me about Freddie. Well, not for a long time.
- Look, you don’t have to explain all…
- Fast forward 27 years. I was a young trainee psychiatrist, working at The Maudesley. I got a year’s sabbatical to go to America to study exciting developments in the thinking regarding ‘Right-hemisphere syndromes’. That’s where I met Freddie: The University of Chicago, a freezing cold November evening – he was giving a lecture. God, I was bowled over; not by his looks – well, you’ve seen him – but by his mind. You could call it ‘love at first syllable’ – sorry!
- Why are you telling me all this?
- We made love that first night. Neither of us knew that we were related, let alone step brother and sister.
- How long before you… er… found out?
- Not for over a year. We were going to get married but I though I should first take him home to meet my mother – who turned out to be HIS mother.
- So what happened, I mean…
- It isn’t important.
- I’m sorry.
- Have you read ‘The man who mistook his wife for a hat’?
- Oliver Sachs? Of course, it was required reading for my diploma.
- That’s Freddie’s field: neuropsychology; but in particular the study of right-hemisphere syndromes. He’s been published. Not as famous as Ollie of course, but well respected among his peers.
- But what has all this to do with me?
- Did you know that it is impossible for patients with certain right-hemisphere syndromes to know their own problems?
- Why are you looking at me like that?

Instead of answering she slowed down and swung the car into a small lane – well it was little more than a cart track, the car lurching over ruts and bumps. If I’d have owned a Porsche I would not have treated it like that. She stopped and switched off the engine.

No comments: