Tuesday, February 28, 2006

'We see, as through a glass, darkly' (St.Paul)

And what’s happening to my car while I’m in here? I’ll tell you what’s happening: those two are running around the countryside in it. She’s added her name to the insurance – cheeky cow.
Still, what does it matter; I think I’m going to give up driving – too many cars on the road. Gridlocked – that’s what we’ll be in ten year’s time. But where will I be in ten year’s time. I get depressed thinking about it. I looked at my hand in bed this morning – yes I know, I’ve done this before – I thought: you used to have the skin of a young boy; what have you done with it – got it all wrinkled, that’s what you’ve done. It looks like a tortoise’s neck.
Deepak Chopra says you can reverse the ageing process – but he’s in California, and I’m in a psychiatric ward in the middle of England.
As I was musing upon these things, Clive walked by. I said to him ‘Clive, what are we living FOR?’ And when it’s all over, where do we GO?
Clive is a poet and he speaks in verse:

Where do you go to when you die?
Do you go up to a home in the sky?
Or do you come back, as a wasp or a fly?
It’s a bugger to live, and a bugger to die.

I said ‘Thanks Clive, you’ve been a great help.
He nodded sagely:

Many are called but few are chosen,
Some get thawed but most stay frozen;
Be prepared –
Sleep with your clothes on.

I was about to tell him that he had said that before, when the ward doors swung open with a clatter, and Greta came in pushing the medicine trolley. At the sound of the trolley, Clive bolted for the lavatories. He always tries to avoid taking his medication – says it drives away the muse. But Greta always finds him.

‘Nothing for you today, George’ she announces breezily.
‘Are you sure?’ I am surprised.
‘Yep – Amanda’s orders. Oh, and she wants to see you at 2.0pm.’
‘What about’
She wags a finger. ‘Now George, she’s not going to tell me, is she – she’s the engineer, I’m just the oily rag.’
‘You could give me a rub down any day.’ I quip.
She laughs. She thinks I’m joking.

But I am worried. Why would Amanda want to see me today? And I remember the scribbled blog address. I head for the lavatory.

No comments: