Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Hello again

Well, I’ve finished chapter Five – perhaps that will keep Walter Greenbaum quiet for a bit.

And now, I could do with a damn good Blog. I think I’ve earned it.

Me and Norah have got a good relationship going; surprising really, since we are so different (and I don’t just mean that she is a woman – although, heaven knows, that’s often a problem in itself).

We give each other space – and that is so important in a relationship, don’t you think? We share the same bedroom at Wynorin but have separate beds; well I believe that what a person does in the privacy of their own bed is between them and their conscience.

And I get on quite well with her father. When we first met, he was standing on the steps of Sponce Hall , a ferret tucked under each arm. He greeted me with,
“Well, lad, so tha courting our Norah then? Be sure tha treats her reet or tha’ll get one or these ferrets up tha trouser leg – Oni jokin’ lad. Am reet pleased to meet thee” And so saying he extended his arm to shake hands, dropping one of the ferrets, which immediately ran towards Norah. She skilfully kicked it into the bushes.

“Father, why are you speaking like that, when you were educated at Eton and Oxford?”
“Am just tryin’ t’mek lad feel at ‘ome. ‘Is from up t’north, in’t ee?”

“Actually, sir, I was born in Surbiton” I interjected.

Well, after that little misunderstanding was cleared up, Tobias (he insisted I call him by his first name – although I don’t know why, with a name like that) said he would see us at dinner, and strode off into the bushes calling ‘Charlie, Charlie, where are you, you silly bugger.’

And so Norah and me are installed in my old home, which has been renovated from top to bottom – you can say what you like, but money is a very useful commodity, and the Sponce family has plenty of it.

Anyway, I must go now, Norah wants me to take her shopping. I don’t mind, it means I get to drive the Jaguar (I think calling it a ‘Jag’ is sooo vulgar). I know it leaves a big carbon footprint but we compensate by not using plastic bags; Norah bought three of those Hessian bags that Tesco sell for 90p each. A good investment, I think.

No comments: