Thursday, July 17, 2008

On the ice

Yesterday, I went to visit my auntie: the one in Sheffield. She wasn’t in. So I came back. But before I came back I called at the excellent ice rink they have in that city of steel.

I always keep my skates in the car, and I wanted to see if I could still perform a double axel.

Now, for those of you who don’t know their arse from their axel, this is a forward jump, invented by the Norwegian speed skater, Axel Greise. You take off from the front outside edge of the right skate, execute two and a half spins and land on the rear outside edge of the left skate.

But I felt a cold coming on, so I decided against it. Instead I contented myself with several brisk laps of the rink and a few simple jumps and spins.

Of course I am no longer eligible for Olympic selection since (ill advisedly) taking part in that professional ice show at the Alhambra in 2004. I thought that, because it was for charity, my amateur status would not be jeopardised. Not so.

That’s what’s wrong with this country: hidebound with creaking tradition… ‘Gentlemen and Players’. All that nonsense. I tell you, we are still mired in a class system that dates from William to so-called conqueror.

You know, come to think of it, I would probably fare better in the States.
There you get ahead on merit, and merit alone. As Paul Getty said, “It does not matter if you wear a Roman toga instead of a business suit, and drink yak’s milk instead of martini -Ability is a calling card no man dare refuse.” Well it was something like that.
And anyone can become president. You don’t have to have been to Eton or Harrow; Yale or Harvard will do just fine.

Why they even had a ‘B’ movie actor as president! Now who, in their right minds, could see Hugh Grant becoming prime minister?

Oh, and you don’t have to speak with a plum in your mouth; just listen to Mr Bush – surely one of the greatest war leaders of the 20th century, on a par with Churchill.


When I got back I found Norah on the croquet lawn with a tall languid blonde who looked vaguely familiar. My heart skipped a beat.



Note to Mr Adams. Thank you for your comment, which, although a trifle insensitive, did let me know that my words are reaching the Americas.

Incidentally, I got quite a shock when I logged on to ‘sparrow chat’ and found the notice saying you had moved. At first I thought that you had been lifted by the CIA, and were currently blogging in orange overalls.

I don’t really understand why the U.S.A. has a prison in Cuba. Is it some sort of reciprocal arrangement? And does Cuba have a similar penal establishment in the States? Somewhere in Texas, maybe?

As someone with his ear to the political grindstone, I am sure you would know the answer to that one.

Re your comment about the ‘word recognition’. Do you mean those funny bendy letters you have to copy when you make a comment? They just appeared on my blog so I left them there.
I would, though, like some advice as to what I might do about my missing ‘counter’.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, thank you George, that notice has been on my old blog for two and a half years, which proves how frequently you view it. Guantanamo was originally occupied by the British during the war of Jenkin's Ear (1741) (every British schoolboy is familiar with that) only to be trounced by the locals, causing the Brits to withdraw in some haste. Later it was occupied by the Americans during the Spanish-American war, and the locals helped the Yanks against their Spanish invaders. In 1898, as a reward for driving out the Spanish, Cubans leased Guantanamo to the Americans for 99 years. Of course, Yanks being Yanks, once in yer can't get rid of 'em, so they've been there ever since, much to Castro's disgust.

Yes, I do mean those irritating bendy letters.

Regarding your missing counter, go to http://www.sitemeter.com/ and sign up for their free service. Just paste their code into the sidebar bit of your blogger template.
If you get stuck, I'll try and assist you in more detail.

Oh, and get rid of that idiot woman, Norah. She's using you.

I shall now attempt to circumnavigate my way through your ridiculous bendy letters in order to post this comment.

I don't know why I bother.

Anonymous said...

George,

I've been away for a bit but I cannot tell you how happy I am to see that you're writing again. Wonderfully as always.

Hugs from this side of the pond.