Monday, October 19, 2009

Social comment (a bit)

********************************************

Yes, Anna, I was seeking the “humorous effect”. Better luck next time, eh?

But coincidentally, the day after I wrote that piece I found myself in ASDA - the nature of my purchases need not concern us here, suffice to say they did not include alcohol. Anyway, upon approaching the checkout, I smiled and said to the woman, “I’m afraid I do not have any ID”
She laughed and said, “Oh dear”.
I then told her about the reported case of the woman who was stopped from purchasing alcohol because she had her 17 year old son with her. The assistant said that she herself had been ‘reprimanded’ and had lost her bonus because, whilst on duty at the ‘self-checkout’, had failed to stop the teenage son of parents who were buying alcohol to actually put the notes into the machine himself.

I thought this was a bit much. I mean ‘reprimand’, okay, but to stop the woman’s bonus (I did not ask whether this was weekly, monthly or what) was harsh to say the least. But what struck me was the way she just accepted that that was the way things were.
And I thought of the directors of Wal-Mart and wondered what kind of bonuses they awarded themselves. Do they go in for ‘self-reprimands’? And do they punish themselves by stopping their own bonuses?

Once again, Anna, “It’s the rich what gets the pleasures/It’s the poor what gets the blame.” (Old cockney song).

It is only quite recently that I have come to understand how it is Economics (as interpreted and practised by Big Business) and not political ideology that shapes society- and runs the world. Yes, of course I have known this for a long time – but not really understood the implications.

But enough of this philosophising (do you remember how you used to say I had “philosopher’s fingers”?) Let us turn our minds to more personal matters.

Purley is indeed en route to Swindon from the port of Harwich – well, sort of. But the question occurs to me: how are you going to find Big Winston? I assume you do not have his home address, if indeed he has one; he may well sleep on the premises, doubling as night watchman.


Do you know the name of the nightclub at which he bounces? Or are you going to trawl downtown Purley late at night? If so, I am relieved that you do not drink alcohol but only still spring water - one needs to keep one’s wits about one in Purley.)

Still, you are a big girl now, and I am sure you know how to handle yourself.

I have been doing a spot of painting. No, not oil on canvass – Dulux on window frames. Actually I have painted in oils – and water colours, but I thought that I might be spreading my talents (as well as my paints) a little too thinly, so I have given this up, for the time being: it is still my ambition to do you in oils.

Looking forwards – as always – to hear from you.

Your George

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"do you in oils..."

Sounds so much more fascinating than simply painting. But perhaps that's just me and my...mind...yes, we'll go with mind...at work.

Anonymous said...

Another bit about Walmart that you might find interesting..they don't actually have directors. They are a privately held company, owned by the widow and children of founder, Sam Walton. And trust me when I say that they pay themselves well.