Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Some thoughts on public transport - and death

**************************************************************8

Well, Anna, I was going to start this post by telling you about my trip today on public transport, to whit, the motor-bus.

But when I returned to Mistress Bulstrode's lodging house I learned that another friend had died. 


Norman was a good bloke who liked a pint, and traditional jazz .
We had some good nights out.

He started to suffer from Altzeimers and his wife looked after him. But when he became worse he went into a home. I understand that he died because his brain ceased to be able send to his muscles the information they needed to enable him to eat and swallow food.

I have been having a look at  the Gnostic Gospels and they make sense. They do not, however, say anything about brain decay and the disintegration of that which we call 'personality'. How can one make choices to 'step in and out of the story' if one's brain isn't functioning properly?


Anyway, the bus journey. A young couple got on the bus (I don't think either of them was more than nineteen years old) and they had a small infant in a push chair. And I thought what sort of a life are they going to have, with a young child so early in life. Of course, being a man, I put myself in the guy's place and thought: what dreams, hopes, ambitions will he now have to forego? You may say this is a pessimistic view and maybe they are very happy to have this child. I imagine they are - I would be - but just fast forward a few years... what about when they realise what a responsibility a child is? Will they still be happy - with each other? With themselves?


Whilst waiting for the return bus another family group walked past. In the lead was a big guy of about twenty five or so. He had a young child on his shoulders and was pushing a buggy with a baby. Following behind came his 'partner' with a third child.
On the guy's T Shirt was emblazoned the slogan 'Just Do It'.


Quite.

I like travelling on public transport. You get to see people. Some of them you'd rather not see but that's all part of the deal, I suppose. 


Anyway, going back to Norman, it shows that one should make the most of life. Make hay while the moon shines... as you say, Anna.


To this end we will arrange another meeting. I take note of your comments re the venue (although don't pay too much attention to the 'funny' looks of Mrs Wainwright) and will see what I can do.


Did you see the comment from Mr. Adams? I cannot think what he means. Perhaps it is an Americanism.


Looking forward to a screen-ful of your words.


George

No comments: