Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Ok, Noah...so it's raining - it's not the end of the world

*******************************************

I wonder if that's what they said to him; all them there sinners. I mean didn't they notice all the animals walking past, two by two?

It could be the end of the world now. It has been rain, rain, rain for days... weeks even. At least where I am. Cold, dark, dreary.

I'm in a fix, Anna.

Treacle in my veins. That's what I've got. At least that's what it feels like

And you have not replied to my last communication. What does this mean? Are you devoting all your attention to the depressed Dave? Don't forget that I am depressed as well; in fact I am becoming glummer by the day.

I wonder why people won't discuss things; talk about things. Are they afraid that they may not have an "answer" and so would prefer not to risk talking about it? Do they not know that talking about some problem or other sometimes produces an answer? Even if it doesn't produce an answer, just the process of talking often helps.

The Buddhists say that two things should be avoided at all costs: Hope and Fear. Most people would agree about fear but not about hope. I can understand what the Buddhists mean. Fear and hope are both about the future. Live in the present. If you can.

Actually, I think that both Hope and Fear (as we know it) were acquired when we attained consciousness (self consciousness). You can see why Fear is a useful emotion: it forces you to do something when faced with immediate danger.

The caveman hears the bellow of the woolly mammoth and legs it back to his cave. But I bet he didn't spend a sleepless night worrying about all the woolly mammoths he might meet the following day. Also, I don't imagine he hoped that the woolly mammoths would die out - or anything else, in fact. You can only hope and fear (as we practice it) if your 
brain is developed enough to have a sense of the future.

I am having a cup of tea. That's what we English do when things look bleak: we make a cup of tea.
I am not writing any more just now. This doesn't mean that I have nothing to say... but I shall wait until I hear from you.

George

No comments: