Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A temporary home for some carbon atoms?

********************************************************

We all come from a great lump of carbon, millions of years ago.

And we will all go back there.

That's what Brian Cox told me. He said he was "a temporary home for some carbon atoms." And that makes me and you the same, Anna.

He didn't just tell me - he told all those who watched 'The Wonder Of Life' on BBC2. 

I'm inclined to believe him. After all, he is a particle physicist. I could have been a particle physicist - except I was no good at maths. You need the maths to be a particle physicist.

Anyway, imagine that: you are just a string of carbon atoms (plus one or two others, but carbon is the most important) forming into the double-helix of DNA to hold us together. That plus a lot of water and loads of space.

But wait a minute - why say 'just'? Is it not wonderful that Life, that we have emerged? That we are HERE.

And anyway, them pesky carbon atoms may have over-reached themselves, Anna. And I'll tell you why. The lemur, up his tree in Madagascar, may not know what's going on but we do.

We know what the carbon atom is up to!  

We have choice. We can ask ourselves: do we want evolution to go this way or that?

And in the meantime - in the space between carbon lump and carbon lump - LET'S HAVE A BALL.

Let's give them carbon atoms a run for their money.



Glad to see you are having the odd game of pool with Dave. I prefer snooker myself - bigger table, longer cues, more skill. 

I see the Pope has resigned. I wonder if Tony Blair has got his application in yet. I couldn't cope with being Pope - I haven't got the Latin,  and those long frocks wouldn't suit me. Also I don't like the smell of the stuff they swing in that bucket... incense is it called?

I'm off to get my tea. Courtesy of M & S.

Forever thinking of you

George

No comments: