Monday, February 25, 2013

Never ask a crocodile for a snap decision

***********************************

If the crocodiles's world looks, sounds, tastes, smells and feels very different from ours then whose world is the 'real' world?

Does this mean that what we call "the World" or "Reality" is just a model of the world, put together by our five senses? 

But there must be some "stuff" out there for our (and the crocodile's) senses to work on. And maybe this "stuff" is the real "reality" which we can never know (if it exists at all!)

Scientists might say that the laws of physics work in the world of the crocodile as they do in our world. But isn't that just scientists applying their world view to that of the crocodile? Would it be more accurate - more scientific - to say that the laws of physics are part of our world experience and not that of the crocodile. So for us they appear  to work for the crocodile - but what does he know (or care) about the laws of physics?

Do you think these questions are irrelevant, Anna?

Or are they important?

But here's another question that's bothering me:

Why don't animals exercise? I mean have you ever seen a monkey doing press-ups?
And what about the antelope? The gazelle? Their lives depend on how fast they can run away from a lion. But I have yet to see a documentary where David Attenborough has filmed these animals practising running. No, they just wait until a lion chases them.

Can we learn something here? Like we did with the cat?

I must say I admire Dave with his lollipopping. He is taking the initiative to get himself back into the workplace. And look, he has already made  a friend - Poppy, who sees he does not go short of hot tea and buns.

I suppose he gets paid for that. I, on the other hand, do not get paid for the voluntary work I do. I think  far more people to do voluntary work if they got paid.

Sunday luncheon was taken at McDonalds: quarter-pounder cheese burger meal with medium fries and tea (no milk). What would we do without McDonalds! I never have more than one meal a week there.

I have taken a few photos recently. Did you read what I said, Anna, about the photographs saying more about the photographer that the subject? So what do my photos tell you about me?

I watched my friend Brian last night. He was telling us how important water was to life on this planet. Now, you may say - I know that! But he was showing us exactly how water had enabled life to start here. Fascinating.

I am having some slight trouble with a bike. I won't bother you with the details but it is causing me considerable aggravation.

Night falls upon suburbia. And I will leave you to your studies - or whatever else you may be doing at three minutes to six on this Monday evening.

I am going to drum up a storm.

Until our next meeting

George

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm missing you george.x