Saturday, February 09, 2013

Obersvations

*********************************

I found myself huddled by a gas fire this morning, then realised it wasn't turned on.

The central heating was on so I wasn't  cold. It just shows though how habits control our lives so much.

Habits can be useful: they save us from having to think before we do everything - like tie our shoe-laces - but they can also be dangerous, and sometimes very hard to break.

So habits are a 'double-edged sword'. Is the broadsword double edged? I only ask because they have discovered the skeleton of Richard III underneath a car park in Leicester. I don't know what he was doing in Leicester. Was that where they fought the battle of Bosworth?

Some scholars think that his so called 'hunch' was perhaps just the extra accumulation of muscle developed through wielding a broadsword. Did you know, Anna, that he was the last English King to lead his army into battle? 

And something else I bet you didn't know: There is a Richard III society which aims to put right a lot of the bad (false) publicity put out by the Tudors (Richard being the last Plantagenet) 

Shakespeare did a hatchet job on him too. That was to get in with the current incumbent: Elizabeth I.

He never did get his knighthood though...sycophantic sod.

How are you getting on with your revision?

I didn't like school - but then, school didn't like me. So it was pretty even.

Once in biology we dissected a worm, to see how it worked. But, after we'd dissected it, it didn't work any more. The teacher told us to write up what we had learned. I wrote: If you want something to go on working don't dissect it.

Didn't he laugh. No, he didn't - he put me in detention.

Strange that I should later become an educator. 

Well, I can't sit here all day talking to the likes of you. There is a world outside, waiting for me to keep it turning.

Write soon

Your George

No comments: