Tuesday, November 30, 2004

In which things become a little tricky

Trouble with Anastasia (the au pair).
I came home from work to find her in the sitting room telling Harriet about the little trip we took together on the boat.
I said to her: Why are you talking to the dog? She can't understand you, you know.
She replied: I thought you said she understood every word that was said to her.
That's just an expression - you silly Swedish person, I retorted.
She snorted: I know that, stupid - I was just making a joke. You think we Swedes have no sense of humour but we do. And, as a matter of fact, I was just rehearsing, so as I would get it right when I tell Mrs George!

I had to remind her that her work permit had expired and she was now, technically, an illegal immigrant.
She began to swear at me - in Spanish again. She always swears in Spanish; I don't know why.
Anyway, she is not talking to me now. She will - when she wants a lift to her English class.

No comments: