Monday, June 28, 2010

Put your trousers back on, and we'll say no more about it.

****************************************************8

Anna, as you well know, it is not in my nature to be pedantic, but the great philosopher is Immanuel not Emmanuel Kant.

Having said that, I do take your point - and I wish I could get out of the habit of forever questioning - looking for meaning. But I came across this passage in a book, which goes to show I am not alone.

"The happy man does not look back. He doesn't look ahead. He lives in the present. But there's the rub. The present can never deliver one thing: meaning. The ways of happiness and meaning are not the same. To find happiness, a man need only live in the moment; he need only live for the moment But if he wants meaning - the meaning of his dreams, his secrets, his life - a man must reinhabit his past, however dark, and live for the future, however uncertain. Thus nature dangles happiness and meaning before us all, insisting only that we choose between them.
For myself, I have always chosen meaning."

I am not certain that I have actually chosen meaning - for me it is a sort of compulsion. But can I choose happiness instead?

I am so glad you remember our times on the boat - and I would love to see the photographs. I have an album myself - a sort of log - with photographs and writings of my time (and our time) on the boat 'OSCAR'. So I look forward to a trip down memory lane - or memory canal.

I am all agog to know what it is that you want to discuss with me. And Friday will be fine for your visit.

Until Friday then, my sweet.

PS. The book is called "The Interpretation of Murder" by Jed Rubenfeld.

2 comments:

Liya Lolita said...

"The happy man does not look back. He doesn't look ahead. He lives in the present. But there's the rub. The present can never deliver one thing: meaning. The ways of happiness and meaning are not the same. To find happiness, a man need only live in the moment; he need only live for the moment But if he wants meaning - the meaning of his dreams, his secrets, his life - a man must reinhabit his past, however dark, and live for the future, however uncertain. Thus nature dangles happiness and meaning before us all, insisting only that we choose between them.
For myself, I have always chosen meaning."

Thank you for that quote....I really really needed to hear that more than anything. It's funny...it seems my most recent post is questioning the meaning of life, and I come to check my daily bloggers today and see this post, and read that wonderful quote...and I felt myself smiling, knowing that there are other people in the world that struggle with similar situations that I seem to be struggling with. Anyway, I digress. Your post made me feel much more enlightened about my life, so thank you again.

-Lolita

George said...

Liya Lolita

Glad you found the post helpful.

Keep taking the photographs - with or without a camera.