Sunday, January 06, 2013

Fake??

*******************************************************

No, I think you are wrong, Anna.

I believe this letter to have been written by that mountebank half-brother of mine. I showed it to Mrs Bulstrode (her hobby is graphology) and she said it was almost certain to have been written by a male person. Yes, I know Myra smokes a pipe, rides a motor-bike and sidecar and has certain other characteristics which are not exactly feminine, but I don't think she wrote this.

In any case, if you remember she has her own religious sect - The Seventh Day Adventriliquists, the ones that speak in tongues without moving their lips.

But it set me thinking about the many forgeries that must have been perpetrated down the ages. Perhaps the most famous one being The Hitler Diaries. This was, of course, proven to be a fake, but how many have never been discovered?

I mean, take the Ten Commandments: did God really write them? With his finger? In stone? Or was Moses some sort of ancient David Blane (albeit acting for the good of his society at that time)?

How much notice would they have taken if he had come down the mountain with the Commandments scribbled in pencil on the back of an old envelope? 

"Aw, come on Moses... yeah, some of 'em are a good idea, as sort of guidelines, but loosen up man, give us a bit of wriggle room, eh? I mean it's not as if they're written in stone!"

They would have probably gone down in history as The Ten Suggestions.

Still, whoever wrote them, I think Marshal Mcluan had something when he talked about the medium being the message.

Anyway, how are you getting on with your final pieces of coursework? Also are you fairly confident about you coming exams?
Keep me abreast of developments.

Your George

No comments: